View Single Post
nannyde 04:44 AM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
I got the poor reference. It IS expensive to eat well. But it is MUCH more expensive to get sick. It is true, we are what we eat. Holy really means wholly. Know the whole process. Businesses tend to make money on giving you the least while making the most. Not a good combination.
I'm sure you know this but just in case. There is a lot of cheatery in organics, free range, etc. The govermental regulations on organic can be worked around. Also, the use of the word "natural" is not regulated at all.

If possible, going TO the farms is what makes me feel better. I've visited our buffalo ranch, beef, lamb, and chicken farm, egg grower, and every place I've accessed large quantities of grains, veggies and fruit. I've also been very blessed to have day care parents putting me on the hook up from their famiy farms. One of my dc dads is an executive chef and one is a USDA food inspector. That helps a lot with accessing and making sure the food is CLEAN.

You live in California so I would bet your year around access is pretty good for local food?

The health issues are huge to me. I've been keeping track of illness days since switching to fully organic and they have been markedly less than last year BUT we have had a really mild winter so far and have been able to go outside almost every day so it's hard to say for sure. My youngest kids are also 19 months too so that helps a bit too.