View Single Post
Leigh 09:09 AM 02-16-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
AFAIK she isn't any worse behaved than any other kid. The teachers actually tell me she's cooperative and well behaved. The phone calls about the "fevers" are always in the afternoon, and they start "she woke up from her nap and seemed a bit off, so I checked her temperature, and it was 83 bajillion degrees..."
I have a 3-year old in my childcare who, more often than not, runs a temp at naptime. No one knows why. I would ask them to wait 15 minutes, then retake the temp. She just runs hot around nap time, apparently. Also, I did TONS of research to ensure that I was buying the right thermometer. A temporal thermometer was found to be most accurate IF it were used properly. I watched YouTube videos from the manufacturer to learn how to take a temp. I was doing it wrong, and I can tell you that EVERY nurse in the clinic that I have dealt with is also doing it wrong.

By following manufacturer instructions, I am now able to get accurate and consistent readings. I would actually purchase an Exergen temporal thermometer and give it to the childcare, along with usage instructions, and ask them to use it on your child. Remember that temporal readings will be a LITTLE lower than an oral or rectal reading, but that they will be consistent. Ask for a photo of the temp when they contact you. I always send a photo of temps, and haven't had a parent argue with me about their child not being sick since I started doing this.