View Single Post
youretooloud 12:29 PM 10-04-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Welfare is so misused it's not even funny. It is supposed to be there to help people when they're down and out.

I worked in a very, very low income neighborhood in the 80s. I worked in a public school. We had basic food staples to give to each family once a month. The families had NOTHING. They worked hard, and never complained. It wasn't even like they were struggling, they were just working hard.

They didn't have air conditioning, even in 115 degrees.

They never complained... they just kept working.

They didn't have cars. No nice clothes. The kids got vouchers for a new pair of shoes from Payless twice a year. (August and January)

NOW...that same neighborhood is full of low income people with too many kids, about 40% drive a Cadillac Escalade, and they are proud to drive it to the welfare office to pick up their money. They complained about how much time they have to spend filling out paperwork. They complained about the rules for WIC (they can only buy certain brands and sizes with WIC money)

I drove a friend there a few years ago to pick up her paperwork. A guy in line there yelled "I don't gotta work.. I don't never gotta work" to the guy at the desk who asked if he's been looking for employment. (the kids in this place made it a complete madhouse.. they were awful)

I was sad to see that the work ethic I was so proud of 30 years ago, was totally gone.