View Single Post
spedmommy4 09:05 PM 06-24-2015
In my house, everyone helps out. That said, my husband and I established the "everyone works" policy when the kids were little. They started with picking up their own toys and now everyone has a chore rotation.

The business funds lots of things for my kids and all four of them know it. If I didn't run my business there would be no soccer, theater lessons, driver's lessons, extra spending money, etc. Typically, the only job I pay for is standing in as my assistant. My 16 year old gets minimum wage for subbing.

I wouldn't need help if I worked outside the home but, I also never had time to schedule (or attend) all those fun activities when I taught for the school district.

In your shoes, I would be tempted to say, "Only cheerful helpers get fun money." I have two teenagers and they are fairly motivated to help when money isn't available. When the kids go above and beyond, I will add extra money to their allowance or bring home an itunes card to show I noticed. I always say, "I really appreciate that you did x to help me out. "

When I buy something for my own teens, my job ends after the purchase. If they want it in their room, they have to move the item and assemble it.