View Single Post
debbiedoeszip 07:03 AM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by saved4always:
For my in home daycare, I watched all teacher's children. At first, I did not charge for snow days. However, one winter we had many snow days and not getting paid for all of those days killed my budget. I changed my policy to require full pay for snow days. I was there and available to watch the kids, so, I changed my policy to make snow days paid. My situation was a little different since I was technically "open".
I would also charge if I was open and ready to provide care. I live in southern Ontario, Canada. Between heavy snowfalls and/or freezing rain, it gets pretty messy here from November to April. I don't plan to charge if I choose to close the daycare, but then I will likely not close unless the power goes out and is likely to stay out for more than a few hours (in winter).

Living where I do, with the road equipment that we have, I've never experienced weather so bad that all area roads were closed. They often will close a section of a road if there are problems on that particular section (problems like an accident or severe damage to the road itself), but you can still get where you need to go by taking other roads. They will sometimes suggest that no one should be out driving, but they don't prevent you from doing so. It's at your own risk.

I probably would close, and not charge for that day, if all area roads were closed. Around here, that would likely only happen in the event of the arrival of the apocalypse, though. LOL.