View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 10:18 AM 06-15-2015
As long as you advertise that you're looking for a temporary substitute child care provider or assistant that counts as being an "independent contractor" even if she only works for you during that time. You clearly advertise that you are looking for an independent contractor and make that clear to anyone who applies and that you hire. I'd make a contract as well that says this as well that way there's no misrepresentation.

As far as the requirements go anyone that's going to work in your home and have contact with the children will need to be LiveScan fingerprinted, and TB tested. Since you'll be pregnant and assuming that you'll be using the same person to sub for you when you deliver and after you bring your baby home I'd suggest that you require that person to get a Pertussis vaccine as well (although it's not required). When it comes to CPR the sub will need to be CPR certified if she will be left alone with the children at any time (like when you go offsite to your appointments). If you weren't planning on leaving then the sub wouldn't need to be CPR certified.

The CPR certification needs to be the same specific CPR courses you took to get licensed ... CPR, Adult, Child & Infant and Pediatric First Aid, and Preventative Health & Safety.

I've had two children while doing daycare in CA and I didn't take any time off. I just had my husband help me the first week full time and the second week he worked mornings at his job until noon and helped me in the afternoons. By the third week I was running alone again.

For you having a substitute shouldn't be a big deal as long as you make clients aware that you're doing that. Word it so it sounds like you're doing it for their benefit "I'll be interviewing for a substitute child care provider who will fill in for me for days that I have appointments. This will prevent me from having to close on those days so that your family will not be inconvenienced and your care will not be interrupted" ... that sort of thing. As your due date gets closer I would notify your clients of what's going to happen when you go into labor and what's going to happen when the baby is born.
- Will you call the clients to pick up their children and close for the rest of the day/week if you go into labor during daycare hours?
- Will you be scheduling your sub the week of your due date just in case you go into labor so you don't have to close?
- Will your sub take over for you while you are at the hospital?
- Will your sub take over for you when you return from the hospital with your baby? For how long?
Etc.

I would do what you feel like you can do. The fact that you're getting a sub instead of just closing is a good thing and it shows you don't want to inconvenience your clients. Maybe once you contract someone you can have them show up for a few hours in the evening so that the children and the parents can meet your sub and get to know her.

Congrats BTW!!