View Single Post
Starburst 03:05 PM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I feel bad for the OP. But I feel very bad for the little girl. A dcg I once had.....she was.almost 3, a real sweety, never any problems. Her baby brother.was born, and she too.was dropped off the next day at my daycare center. Poor girl, cried a lot, was very upset about the "tubes and hoses" she saw on her mommy. (IV), the "wires all over baby" (monitors) and the.scary masks.the hospital staff wore. Her brother was in a "scary box" with "really bright lights" (incubator. She was pretty much traumatized. She was sad "baby hurt mommy". And she was.sad when daddy cried. This normally well adjusted girl was a wreck for two weeks solid.

I know you are upset with the parents. They acted rudely and inappropriately. They should.apologize. But.......I think they need just a little sympathy and patience. And try to remember, its about the little girl......she is obviously a tad scared, confused and unsure.

On a personal note.....my oldest was 9 when his baby brother.was . He cried and cried when he.saw me in the hospital. The tubes and hoses and beeping machines and masked staff.upset him too.....and he was NINE.

Patience, kindness and understanding always pay off. It may seem like a hard thing to show them right now, but when these new parents get their heads screwed back on right, I hope they will realize they behaved badly.
Kinda makes you consider putting in your contract something about DCKs not coming in soon after the birth of a sibling (like a mental health day/week) so they can start bonding and adjust to the new baby a bit, in addition to being a part of a special family moment. But at the same time I could see how the parents would rather take the older child to daycare so they can focus on the mom's recovery and the baby's health. At the same time it helps that the older child sticks to their normal routine so everything is not too much of a change in one day. A bit of a catch 22 either way.