View Single Post
Unregistered 07:36 AM 10-08-2015
Well, actually it's not families today. This is how it has always been, in many civilizations and various parts of the world. Those fit to go hunt and gather, do that (sometimes with little ones). Usually others stayed behind and cared for children. My dad was raised by a nanny not his mother. They lived in another country till he was 18 and he immigrated to the US. He barely got much time with her. This was in the late 40's. My mom was raised in Georgia - by her older sister who was about 15 years older. My mom's mom was a single mother to 3 and was born in 1908- so this was around the great depression (that she was having babies and was left to provide for them) She didn't raise her kids every moment- her oldest daughter did for her. I don't know a lot about other times and places (hey- I'm ECE, not a history major), but even in that recent movie about babies around the world, you see the parents are not the ones caring for them all day. Even in villages in far off places, where people don't just go sit at a desk and do the daily grind, they leave the kids with others in the community. The only difference here and now, with childcare providers, is we are the community the parents are forced to choose and pay because the old style of community is so rare now. And, I can guarantee you this is not all for want of cell phones and nice cars. How about feeding your child, putting a roof over their head, diapers and clothing- and now, I suppose you'll tell me, people shouldn't have children if they can't afford them then?

I commend you for doing a quality job for 33 years and caring enough to do your best, and what's best for the kids even when it was hard! Don't knock parents for having to choose you. They put their trust in you, and you came through!