Thread: Skipping 13-16
View Single Post
Unregistered 03:45 PM 06-08-2016
Yes, very common! Totally common in lots of kids. I wouldn't worry and I wouldn't push him. Make learning fun and interactive and don't overdue it!

Let parents know what you're working on and how you are presenting it.

He's only been on the planet 3 1/2 years....there's so many more important things kids should be doing in the early years. Even if a child can count quite far what does it really mean to him and how does he have a use for it?

When I taught kindergarten the kids that were very far ahead typically had kids catch up to them by second/third grade.

You can't just cram and cram! I found that kids would start reading quite quickly but forget certain shapes they knew in pre-k or they couldn't learn to tie their shoes, or remember their birthday when they had known it, yet when I taught pre-k they all learned to tie their shoes in about a week!

It was like the hard drive filled up and something had to go.

Tell parents you are exposing them to many things and some things are just that.... exposure and mastery comes the next year.

Goodness, there's a hundred developmentally appropriate things threes can be exploring and learning about.