Thread: Skipping 13-16
View Single Post
Unregistered 04:15 PM 06-08-2016
Also, I have a math manipulative shelf with store bought and homemade math games. We have "math" time while I make lunch. There are matching games, counting bears, file folders, sequencing games, some actual number activities-such as matching the dots to the correct number, sorting activities, geo boards, kids deck of cards, etc. etc. we explore this shelf together in the beginning of the year so they learn what the activities are, how to put them away and get a new activity, etc. I rotate and add games and activities each month.

Sorting items by color, shape, making color patterns such as red, blue. Red, blue or big, little, big, little. There are lots of easy ways to create a math shelf.

If the independent shelf wouldn't work with your group do it as a group activity where you supervise.

I used to do math games after lunch and before nap. That worked too. Depends on your ages. Just google preschool math games and manipulatives.

Hands-on exploration of math concepts builds the foundation for higher level math concepts.

When I taught K I had a math manipulatives shelf. After our formal math lesson they went over and explored the math games/manipulatives. They loved it!