View Single Post
Faith is a gift too 02:34 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When people are given something for nothing, they become accustomed to that concept and lose motivation to work.

Not to mention the costs of implementing something like that would be in the trillions (I think I read something like 3.9 trillion) so while the idea is great in theory, I think in reality it would be similar to many of the social programs we already have.

Head Start is one example. Looks and sounds great in theory but in reality... yeah, not so much.
Universal income is not like any of the other social programs that we have. It gives people the freedom to manage and use the money for whatever they choose.

I see it as a hand up not a handout.

If it does get approved, I would like to see a lot of the other social programs rolled back, like head start, food stamps, free school lunches.

I think this will give people a chance to be use the income to better their situation however they see fit.

"When people are given something for nothing, they become accustomed to that concept and lose motivation to work.":

I've not seen a lot of loss of motivation for work in people when they are given something for nothing, but I have seen plenty of people take advantage of a system that gives them something for nothing when they should be managing their money better.

i.e.:
Lately, people on the evening news driving up for free school lunches with their nails and hair done in a brand new Lexus makes me think that Universal income would be a huge improvement.