View Single Post
Live and Learn 07:44 AM 02-07-2011
At five months of age an infant should be fed on demand. If baby is demanding milk that the mother isn't providing then she either needs to be pumping much more or supplying formula.

Before flaming me for suggesting formula you should know that I have a house full of my own children. None has ever had formula. I even nursed my twins for two and a half years......but I made the choice to stay home with my kids. It is so very, very hard to nurse and work. There are always trade offs.

In my opinion when she made the choice to not stay home with her kid she needed to give the "substitute" (read dc provider) all of the tools to do the job. This includes breast milk or formula. If for some reason her fantasy of supplying enough breast milk through pumping does not match the reality of the child's appetite then the mom can do one of three things:

1) learn how to produce more milk.

2) supply formula.

3) stay home and nurse.

I require my breast feeding moms to have three days of milk in my freezer.
Every breastfeeding mom that I have ever provided care for has found the working/breastfeeding combo to be very stressful for them....constantly worrying about providing enough milk.

I would call mom at work as soon as last of the milk is consumed....not fair to let baby go hungry...poor thing.

Good luck