View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 08-10-2018
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have the kids sit at the table until everyone is done for two reasons:

1. Good manners
2. If one child leaves to play, the other kids tend to follow even if they aren't done eating. If they all sit together to finish the meal, even the kids who initially wouldn't eat anything might pick at their meal or even eat a good part of it. I WANT them to eat it because I want to instill good eating habits and want them to learn to like vegetables and other things that they might not eat at home (I have one parent who doesn't buy ANY vegetables for their home because none of the 5 members of their family will eat them-he DOES eat them here, especially broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans).
Thank you for your reply....

I am genuinely curious about this "practice" as I allow kids to leave the table for what I feel are the same reasons.

1. Manners ~ Leave if you are not actively participating in the current activity. (I think requiring a child to sit when they don't want to creates other issues).

2. If one child leaves to go lay down, the other kids tend to focus more on eating. They don't want to go lay down.
All my kiddos eat fantastic! I think because we don't allow unnecessary food drama at the table.

I have several families that don't buy veggies because the parents don't like veggies too! But oddly, their children are the biggest veggie eaters here. Favorites here are odd ones too....pepper strips, broccoli, asparagus, beets, snow peas etc.

I guess it's a perfect example of how different approaches can net the same results. Nice!