View Single Post
Play Care 10:34 AM 06-18-2013
I have a 4 yo boy in my dc. He will go to K in 2014, so I'll have him until then. I also care for his brother. I've had both of them since they were infants. The problem? I just don't enjoy caring for them anymore
The older child is very strong willed and has (I believe) some type of sensory issues. He is constantly crying and whining over every slight, real and imagined. He has also started targeting another, younger child in my day care. When asked not to do something his usual response is "I don't like you." or "I want mommy!"
His brother is almost 3, but behaves more like a child a full year to two years younger. He did have an eval last year where they noted speech delays, but just recommended some work at home (using straw cups, talking to him a lot, etc.) Despite some pretty intense efforts on my part, I feel he is still very behind. Other parents have made comments about him supposedly going to preschool in the Fall (3 yo class) because they don't think he is as old as he is based on his behavior

Parents are in some ways dream clients - pick up on time, pay on time, don't complain about time off, etc. But in other ways they seem almost overwhelmed by the kids. They are really wild and neither parent seems to be able to get a handle on it. They are individually sooo much work and together it's waaaaay much work!
In a perfect world I would send them on, but parents are *very* well connected in my small town. But every morning when they are standing at my door screaming over one thing or another I die a little inside. I feel terrible, as if we should have this "special" bond because I've had them both since infancy. But I just don't.
Has anyone else dealt with this? How do you deal with children that you just are not meshing with?