View Single Post
Cat Herder 06:55 AM 04-11-2017
Originally Posted by RIWorkingMom:
she has even hit the daycare provider. - This is not appropriate behavior.

she cries really loud, goes limp, or throws herself backwards on the floor. She also takes toys from the babies, and has a hard time sharing. This is expected behavior.

she can’t have what she wants she loses it! The daycare provider keeps telling me that this is not normal This is expected behavior, but unacceptable in group care.

DD tried throwing these tantrums at home, and I put DD in her room and left her alone to calm down. This is illegal in daycare.

these tantrums almost never happen anymore. The only time I witness these is when I drop her off at daycare. The two environments are not comparable, so this information is irrelevant to the provider who is responsible for the safety of a group of children.

The daycare tells me that she is being punished 3+ times a day. They are telling you to start looking for another child care solution.

The doctor thinks it is jealousy, and that she is acting out for attention. She recommended that I tell the daycare how I handle it and recommend they do the same.How many years has the doctor worked in group child care?

The woman at the daycare (who has only been open for 2 ½ years) keeps telling me that my daughter is not normal, and has even asked for a copy of the doctor’s report. She says none of her other kids acted this way. Minimizing how long she has worked in childcare will not change the fact that these behaviors are not manageable in group childcare. I believe she is telling you the extreme nature of her behaviors and the effects on the other children are not "normal" in her view, not your daughter, herself.

I don’t want to shuffle her around from daycare to daycare.
Unfortunately, I don't see another option at this time.

Your daughter is telling you that mixed age care is not for her. That is ok. There are as many types of daycare as there are many types of children.

Your daughter will most likely greatly benefit from being in a larger group of same aged children, instead.

A change of environment is exactly what I'd recommend to you as your provider in this scenario. I have been in business, successfully, 23 years, now. It is not you, it is not the provider, it is simply the environment and mismatched needs.