View Single Post
Heidi 11:50 AM 07-27-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
i agree. I am sure there are people out there that desperately need the help but I dont know of a single person on welfare that is not milking the system. Its really sad and maybe it is just the people that I know but still.....

did you know that welfare was originally created where you use what you need temporarily and then PAY BACK the services when you can? My mom had 9 children (thats right people, nine!) and put herself through college and paid back what she had received during the time that she did have to take assistance.

it was never meant to be a way of life, just a way up. but a lot of people do not have the motivation to use it in an appropriate way.

I can think of several moms right now, that timed TTC having children around the services they would receive, it wasnt like these children were surprises and they needed help as single moms
yes, but it's also pretty much designed to keep people dependent. In our state, at least, you can't get childcare subsidy for time you are in college, for instance. Not even an associate's degree. You can be in an approved training program...like CNA. If you're a CNA, you'll probably still be eligible for childcare funding.

Once you make 1 cent more than whatever the cut-off is, you loose everything. Food stamps, childcare funding, scholarships for low income, scholarships for your kids to go to camp or learning programs, free lunch at school, and medical assistance. So, what's the incentive to get "off" the system? A few people do it, and then end up being worse off than when they were on it...

When I was newly divorced, I did apply for medical assistance, and my kids got free hot lunch. When I met my new hubby, I would have been better off NOT getting married. . His income put us over the limits. My kids would have been able to go to university programs free, not pay hot lunch at $50 a month per child, and we wouldn't have had to pay for family health insurance. oh well....