View Single Post
Unregistered 11:20 AM 06-01-2008
I have posted this scenario in another thread, but thought it may be suitable to ask the question on a separate thread.

I have my 16 month old in an in-home, licensed, daycare. There was no contract signed when I began bringing my daughter to this home, however the provider gave me a pamphlet which states her rates and the fact that she charges for the holidays. I am in complete agreement with paying her for holidays and I also pay her on the days I keep my daughter home with me since the rate is a monthly rate.

The questions revolves around her taking time off with no back-up due to illness and not reimbursing the parents so that we can pay for alternate care. The provider took 1.5 weeks off two months ago for surgery, and now told me she will be taking another 1.5 weeks off for additional surgery.

The first time she took the time off, I felt bad for her and did not ask about the money since it seemed insensitive. Now, after reading my pamphlet and seeing that she takes 1 week off each summer for vacation (unpaid), I assumed that she would be using this unpaid week for the second surgery. When I asked her about adjusting the rate, she became very defensive and rude. She replied that she wasn't planning on adjusting our rates and ignored my request as to an explanation. I again asked her about this and her response was "fine, take $50 back" very rudely. When I started to take the $50, she replied "I just hope I can pay my bills this month". This resulted in a verbal argument where I tried to politely explain that I have always been a good customer by paying early each month and working my schedule around her appointments (I have picked-up early, dropped off late, etc. to accomodate her). However, now I have to take time off work and don't feel it is right to pay her during this time. She rudely replied that I could just ask my parents to watch my daughter, to which I responded was not really her place to assume that my parents would be able to watch her....and this was beside the main point. She also made the point that she hardly called surgery a "vacation" and that she would not be taking her unpaid vacation this year.

Anyways, I am curious if this is normal protocol for a provider to take time off and not offer to reimburse. One or two days is one thing, but we are looking at nearly a month of time off. I have never asked her for money back and I have been a very respectful and courteous parent. I truly appreciate any feedback to determine if I am completely out of line, or if I should be looking for a new provider. Much Thanks!