View Single Post
Lucy 11:47 AM 07-25-2012
This might be a question more about your OWN kids than Daycare kids, as I know things are different when you're caring for Daycare kids.

So... when you go to the park, and let's say your kids are 3 and over, do you hover over them as they make their way from one thing to another? I ask, because I just took my Daycare kids to the park, and I observed 3 different moms who just wouldn't leave their kids alone. They had to help them up the steps to the slide (and this was not one of those tall slides - it was all part of a climbing structure with different levels of platforms and such - so not really any danger of falling off), they stood next to them as they bounced on the springy rocking horse thingey, they followed them over to the 4-sided teeter-totter and bounced one side of it with their foot, etc., etc.

Ok, I can see shadowing a 2 yr old or younger, but these kids were very capable of managing the equipment on their own. And it wasn't only shadowing, they were giving instructions and suggestions the whole time, as well as affirmation. I'm just thinking that the kids are never going to learn independence if you don't leave them alone! My philosophy is to stand back and watch, making sure they're not in danger of hurting themselves or others, and supervise from an appropriate distance. I had my mom with me, and we kept looking at each other and rolling our eyes about these moms! Sit down!!! Let the kids learn what to do and what NOT to do.

What's your take on this? Oh, and there was one mom who was the total opposite. Her 3 kids were running wild, going up the slide from the bottom, SITTING in the bowl of the water fountain, throwing bark chips, etc., while she stood and talked to a friend and never once corrected them. Sheesh!