View Single Post
Cradle2crayons 07:47 PM 08-10-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
JMPO ~

If my sickness policy included minor colds and runny noses like yours does I'd be out of business. From my experience in reviewing different providers policies (on the board of our county's child care association, it's a part of what we do) it's not standard at all in my area.

The only time that a child is excluded for a runny nose is if it's accompanied by a fever. The fever is the kicker, not the runny nose. Otherwise I chalk it up "just part of the job". Everyone runs their businesses how they see fit however so if you don't want to wipe noses and toys then go for it! But expect that this family may have different needs than you can accomodate and they'll have to find a different childcare provider.
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
Colds are colds. I don't exclude over colds. Kids get them a lot and so do adults. Green boogers do not always mean an infection. Honestly, if I were a daycare parent, I would find a place that accepted colds. It is just not reasonable to expect parents to take off for a cold. 7-10 days that a cold lasts x 3 colds a year means 21 days minimum misses work. Crazy!
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I agree with the PPs - if I excluded for colds I wouldn't be in business for long.

I recently attended a seminar about managing infectious diseases in the child care environment and was surprised at the few times they suggested that exclusion was appropriate - i.e., for the most part exclusion doesn't prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
I have advice, but it is not likely what you want to hear.

If you have a sick policy that excludes children who have a cold, you are going to have this problem A LOT. Kids get colds. Usually, they are sick before you even realize it and everyone has already been exposed, meaning it is likely everyone is going to be sick within days and you would have to exclude everyone. Also, a cold generally lasts for 7-10 days, so would you expect parents to take off the entire time their child has symptoms? This is not realistic, for you or for the parents.

I would reconsider the sick policy, deal with the runny noses (as much as it sucks) and only exclude for severe symptoms such as fever/vomiting/diarrhea.

DCM is right. She is going to have to consider alternate care if you stick to this policy. It isn't even cold/flu season yet and she is down to one day of sick leave left because she has had to call out when her child has a cold.What is she to do when her child is REALLY sick and she has no time left? Just like you, she cannot afford to lose her job.

SO, personally, I would call Mom and tell her I have reconsidered and that you will allow her child to attend when she has a cold.

I know it sucks....none of us enjoy the runny noses, coughing and whiny children. BUT, it is part of the job and the sooner you adjust to that, the sooner you will ensure job security
all these. I consider my sick policy relatively strict compared to most in may area, including the schools.

However, if I excluded for every runny nose, I'd be run out of town.

I remember when my daughter was little, until age five, she was a sickly thing. I can't remember a day her nose didn't run. She didn't go to daycare either and was an only child and I wasn't a provider at that time. Some of them were REALLY bad colds that ended in screaming ear infections and always something secondary. Her Ent told me what a blessing this would be someday while I stared in horror wondering how he made a living telling parents junk like this.

Turns out he was right.

My son, the opposite. The healthiest child I ever saw. Other than seasonal allergies everyone in he south has. An a few allergies to stinging creatures. Related to illness only saw a dr ONCE in the first five years of life. After his sister I thought we had adopted an alien child. Fast forward age five in kindy. He has caught everything there.

Colds are colds are colds. The fever is where I exclude. Unless they are so sick they are unable to participate.

If I were dcm, I'd be a tad bit upset.

Please don't take this personally though. You DO have a right to have your own exclusion policy however you want it to be.

But be prepared for it to annoy parents and be prepared to lose clients.