View Single Post
nannyde 06:43 AM 04-13-2019
https://service.mattel.com/us/recall/BJD57_ivr.asp

Here's the recall protocol from Mattel.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rs/3450923002/

4.7 million? Wow I'm wondering what product other than bottles, bibs, etc. has had 4.7 million bought?

I don't think there will be a huge return on the motorized ones. Can you imagine how valuable they will be? Parents of first time kids will keep for next kids. I can see a black market for them for sure. There are also a couple of other similar "reclined sleepers" still on the market.

I wonder how the states will handle these in daycare? I wonder if pediatricians and hospitals will make it a practice to notify parents of the recall and document that they have? I wonder if parents continuing to use them will be liable for child endangerment if they do so?

At some point the millions of them out there will die most likely because they are really being used until the baby outgrows the equipment rather than by the age limit of three months. With the babies weight and physical prowess of kicking and bucking, the equipment will die at some point. They are also used for many hours at a time for overnight sleep and nap so they will wear out.

It will take a few years though. I think parents will just switch back to regular infant swings for overnights. It's not going to stop parents wanting a motion sleeper. I do think most manufacturers have really sized down swings compared to how big they were in the nineties and early 2000's. Any good piece of equipment gets sized down as it grows in popularity. Play pens are tiny and shallow compared to the old school ones. Bouncy seats are way smaller.

I have never seen one of these but my guess is once they added the battery operated ones and the price went to 150 they eventually started sizing them down. Is that true?

What's out there that is comparable? I've seen the swings that go back and forth and side to side but they seem way bigger than the rock n play. I wonder if some of the allure of the rock n play is it is smaller and takes up less real estate in the room.

I've been interested in this piece of equipment for a long time because I could see this coming. I'm really interested in the impact on the brain of babies who have so much motion for so many hours a day. I'm interested in it because I have had SO many babies who are motion addicted when they come into care and even with parents knowing that having them sleep in swings is dangerous they still do it. I did see some downtick in it when the price of formula skyrocketed and breast feeding became popular again. Then the nipple attached all night long co-sleeping baby came on the scene which is a different animal than the motion baby.

I really do wonder if we will get to the point where babies are just put to bed on a flat surface by themselves with nothing in the bed to sleep. My gut tells me this is a rare baby at home.