View Single Post
nanglgrl 09:39 PM 03-16-2020
Our state is thinking of loosening regulations, upping capacities, allowing childcare to be provided in unlicensed locations etc.

They will also pay CCA clients based on enrollment instead of attendance. Which will be great for some providers.

Funding may be provided to help with sanitation and once hand sanitizer becomes available we will be some of the first on the list to get it.

Sounds great except many clients are leaving care. Many providers in a local group are losing clients since school closed. Clients are leaving with no notice and no payment. Loosening regulations will only mean more clients leave for cheaper, unregulated care that will pop up with so many parents at home and hurt providers who are trying to stay afloat. Funding for sanitation and hand sanitizer only helps if the provider has clients.

I had a parent give notice today. She decided not to pay to hold the spot since we don’t know how long this will go on for. She’s normally wonderful. She has a child under 18 months and it’s going to be hard to find care once this is all said and done but she’s more worried about the here and now and doesn’t trust she will get paid. I made it very clear that I will not accept a child back in to care if they don’t pay to hold the spot. Additionally, I was only going to charge whatever percentage of tuition they get from unemployment/paid leave.

Another client has been hinting about leaving after this week and asking how much it will cost to hold a spot, another is a student who was leaving in March anyway so will probably notify me in the next week, another is a teacher who is off work and another recently had surgery and will be off work.

I think the coronavirus relief package assumes that parents will want to keep their care and use money to keep paying for daycare but so many are not thinking about what happens when their provider shutters his/her doors for good because of a mass exodus, they’re worried about keeping the lights on as they find themselves temporarily unemployed.

We keep hearing about all of the other essential employees that will need care since schools closed but so far that doesn’t seem to be the case. Chances are the my have another parent at home, friends or family to care for them. Additionally, if regulations are loosened many will just choose the cheapest option. Truthfully, even if they started calling around it would be hard to find care. Who wants schoolagers who have never been enrolled with you, whose parents are at high risk in their homes?