View Single Post
familyschoolcare 04:30 PM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
So apparently I'm not friendly enough...

The parent of a 3 year old who just moved to my class said this to my director this evening. The 2 year old teacher is extremely sweet and friendly. I often hear this when a child transitions to me from that classroom.

That's just not my nature. I have 17 children in my am preschool class and ten in my pm one. Granted that a few of them are related, that gives me about 23 separate families. Yet, I greet each parent or pickup person by name, share a tidbit about the child's day and cheerily send them about their business. Pickup is a VERY busy time, as we transport children to and from home.

No, I don't stand there for 5-10 minutes ignoring the other children and incoming parents to talk to one. No, I don't delve into their personal lives or give them details about mine. No, I don't sugarcoat when there's a problem with their child.

I guess if that makes me not a friendly person and that's how I need to be, then maybe childcare isn't my bag...
What are the ratios in the 2 year old room that may play a bigger role than just personality