View Single Post
Cat Herder 03:09 AM 02-02-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
so, does it mean you will quit from your job in case of every family emergency?

I, as a business owner, understand and accept 1-2 days of absence because of a family emergency. But a week sitting in a hospital? What for? In my opinion, it is just an excuse for a physically and emotionally lazy person who doesn't want to go to work and doesn't make an effort to respect people who depend on him.
I was raised and feel the same way. I think this mindset may be cultural. Resilience requires a pre-plan, adults have them.

I would have found a compromise in there somewhere. My family members would have each taken a day or so and stayed in shifts. Nobody would want to risk their jobs. There would even be the possibility that this family member would need their financial support longterm. How can you be family support with no income?

Again, if it were my minor child, the world stops and I live off my emergency fund and lean on my support circle. I have seen me do it. You deal with the consequences as it comes, then. But, if this was an adult I would expect they also have an emergency fund and a support circle to call on and I am one of several. The five times I have been hospitalized, I kicked everyone out to rest. They visited after work or on Sunday.