View Single Post
Unregistered 11:38 PM 11-19-2010
My 6-year-old son is exactly like this. He cannot stop talking about violence. He has no other real interests. If he speaks for more than about 15 seconds, the subject always drifts to sharp objects, dismemberment and killing.

It is not environmental as far as I know. Our kids get TV and games for 1 hour, on Sat/Sun only. We have no cable TV, no movies above PG, no video games above G. We have no guns or weapons, and no domestic violence (I'm the dad, mid 40s, a skinny, bookish engineer who has literally never seen domestic violence except on TV). He has never bullied nor been bullied, as far as I know. He has never been in a fight. He has no other behavioral problems, other than a lack of interests beyond violence. He has the highest measured IQ in his grade, at one of the most competitive primary schools in the state, reads far ahead of grade, blah blah blah.

He has talked this way since he could speak. His very first sentence, at around 18 months, expressed a desire to hurt someone and "break" them. I found it chilling. No one else seemed to mind. Since then, it never ends. No one but my brother believes this is a problem. I have consulted his teachers about it since pre school. They all say he is fine. I sent him to the school counselor. Also fine, supposedly.

So i don't know what to think, or what to do, if anything. If anyone figures this one out, please post so I can try whatever you tried.