Thread: Safe Sleep FAIL
View Single Post
Baby Beluga 10:12 AM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by finsup:
Our hospital REQUIRES everyone who gives birth there to watch a series of videos on safe sleep, not shaking babies, colic (video called the period of purple crying or something like that) and car seat safety. They won't discharge you until the videos have been watched (it records it on the TV if you have watched or not). It does not matter if it's your 1st or 4th,you will be watching the same ones, every single time lol. Before you leave, the nurses check you know how to put a baby in a car seat and will correct straps/position etc if it's not right. I thought this was "standard" practice?? I guess maybe it's not!
Sadly, it's not. The hospital does offer a pregnancy and newborn guide handbook that can be downloaded from their website. It is 133 pages and 3 pages are dedicated to safe sleep.

My last little one was born March 2017. The only thing they asked me to do is write down when DS nursed or took a bottle (and how much) when he was changed and when he had skin to skin. However it was not required. Truth be told the nurse was more concerned with how cold I was keeping the room, saying it was too cold for baby. The room was at 74. She turned the heat on. In the end of March. In the desert. BTW - my AC at home is set to 72 at night, 74 during the day. I still chuckle at that nurse. She was nicknamed "nurse ratchet" by my family.

They also have new moms take a postpartum risk quiz (it's standard to do it in the hospital then at your first postpartum OB visit and compare the results). That's it. No classes, did not check his car seat fit in the room or in the car. Basically they have a nurse come into your room, you sign discharge paperwork, then a transport person is called (not a nurse) and they wheel you to the curb and you are on your way.

And this was at one of the "best" most widely known hospitals in my state.