View Single Post
jen 07:23 PM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I don't have a problem with all the different languages. All our ancestors came from other countries.

However I DO have a problem when I pick up a box of cereal and the ingredient label is marked with English and Spanish. What about the Germans living here? What about the French living here? Etc etc etc...

I just feel that if I was living in another country, I would expect their labels to be in their native language. It just seems unfair that as an English speaking country, we have to have everything in Spanish as well. Esp. when there are other languages spoken here.
Well, there isn't room on the box for EVERY language that is spoken here, but since Spanish and English are the prominent languages it makes sense. Also, we don't "have" to do anything. I am not aware of a law that forces the cereal manufacturor to put the box in both English and Spanish, they do it because that is the primary languages spoken by their customers.

I still don't understand why it would bother you? On behalf of the Germans and French people living in our country? As I said, we don't have room for ALL the languages, so making things accessbile to the most common languages is certainly "fair."