Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
Michelle 04:50 AM 01-21-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What would you do?

I have parents contracted 6-4 everyday (10 hours). Last Monday, parents arrived 15 minutes early, at 5:45am. I figured it was a fluke, but the next day, I made sure that my lights were off in my house until 5:55- well, I planned on doing that anyway. They came knocking at 5:50, and again, the next day. DCD asked if it was ok to come 5 mins early DCM got a new job (at least I knew now why they were so early), and I agreed, because I am a pushover and don't know how to tell people no. The next 2 days they came at 5:50...

I am NOT good at confrontation and can allow emotions to affect what I say, so I decided to write a letter. I included a copy of their contract, and a letter stating that their contracted hours are 6-4, and that I will honor the 5 mins early, but if they need to drop off earlier then they have to pay an extended day fee (they were referred by a friend and I gave them a discount- they are paying the least, their kid is the youngest, and they stay the longest; I will never make that mistake again).

Anyway, DCD sends me a text and asks me to talk to them in person next time instead of writing a letter, and (this is the part that upset me), that if things aren't working out to just let them know. I thought that was that I did- let them know, professionally, and in a non-confrontational manner, that they cannot get 10 extra free minutes of daycare per day (and I didn't word it that way- I was very nice). Why would they assume things arent working out? Their kid is great, I love having him- but I do not love having him at 5:45am when he is supposed to be here at 6:00.

Why do I feel like I am the one in the wrong here? My husband says I am just overly-sensitive and that I care too much what other people think. Ugh- thoughts?
Was it bad to write a professional letter, offering them longer hours for a higher fee?
No, it wasn't wrong to write the letter...dad just wants that extra ten minutes and he is trying to scare you. stick to your guns and don't let them dictate your policies. They won't leave, they know they have it good with you.