View Single Post
Unregistered 08:12 AM 01-05-2010
I have run a childcare with a preschool program for 8 ys now. I know the younger children are more challenging to include in lesson plans, and to find developmentally appropriate activities is more difficult. Nonetheless, it is important as more and more is expected of our children in elementary school, and more is expected of our teachers, to provide opportunities for learning in daycare.

I use a full 3-4 yr old curriculum, and then add customized activities for the younger kids that fit/match the preschool activity/theme. As we introduce colors, for example, make sure to have colored bean bags or balls to hold or play hot potato with during circle time. Encourage early language by repeating the words. All of my two year olds know all of their colors and shapes and most of the alphabet. Incorporating multiple learning styles is important as well. While older children practice writing the letter you are working on, perhaps a lacing letter manipulative will help the younger child in the group. Sorting blocks by shape and color using traditional block shape sorter, while you assist and encourage them to say the shape or color, as a game with you, should have those skills mastered in no time. Songs for each letter, color, number and season are available ( I think I got mine through Trend)and music is universal.

It's important to include the younger children as much as possible while respecting their natural attention span limits. Use many, many short 5-10 minute teachable moments throughout the day, reinforcing the same concepts. Make sure to read several times a day. Choose short easy books for the toddlers as well as books appropriate for the 3-4 yr olds. Have board books that they can have handy, and read them every time they bring it to you to share. I have kids reading as young as 3 here. Best of luck, and kudos to you for trying to give all the children in your care the best!