View Single Post
SilverSabre25 08:15 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i agree that people go overboard on the scents, and i can see making adjustments to keep an allergic child safe. what i can't see is passing the responsibility and the bill onto all of the other parents. asking dads not to use aftershave and moms not to use lotion with scents goes beyond the children. not only do they have to think about the child at the daycare when they shop, they have to think about them if their child stays with a grandparent or someone who might use scented soap or detergent AND the bill for the unscented products is passed onto the parents of the children without allergies - even though nan says she's paid an "awesome salary" to provide a scent free zone, she isn't providing it - the parents are.
This happens for peanut allergies all the time as well as latex allergies. Scent may be a rarer one, but it's no less serious. There are plenty of latex-free schools and peanut free schools. There are scent-free classrooms in public schools, too. It is the law that one must provide a safe environment--part of IDEA and the LRE (Least Restrictive Environment) and responsibility gets passed onto families of classmates of the child in question all the time.