View Single Post
missnikki 06:48 AM 09-22-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
But we do not care for ONE child. Say $2 per hour PER child, 5 children is $10 per hour, 10 children is $20 per hour. This isn't a piece work job, it's a group factor. Sure, if you were caring for ONE child, it wouldn't be worth it at $2 per hour, and you wouldn't charge that.....geez, even my daughter who babysits charges $10 per hour.
Derailed.

Anyway, as a provider with a degree, I find that my experience plays a stronger role in my success as a provider, and the fact that I have education allows me to legally keep my job as a director. That's it and that's that.
I've learned more researching things on my own and asking comrades in the field (like on this site) and by being a people person and communicating with parents, than I did in the "Child, Family, Community' class and the 'Children in a Multicultural Setting' class that are core requirements for a basic AA degree.
In all seriousness, I felt that a lot of those classes were full of obvious common sense. I met a lot of fellow care providers there, though, and have lifelong friendships from that school. I guess it was worth the time and expense for those reasons.