View Single Post
blandino 12:06 PM 02-13-2013
Oklahoma was mentioned in the state of the union address for it's "universal preschool". What we have is a statewide 4 year old program, that is part of the elementary schools. This coming school year they have extended it from half-day to full-day.

I would hope that is what the president is meaning when he speaks of universal preschool. And since he mentioned my state's program - I think he is.

I absolutely dislike the all day, state provided, preschool. And I hate the idea of it funneling into the younger children and private childcare. And this is coming from a HUGE Obama supporter.

Some schools in our state have 3 year old programs and I loathe the idea. However, parents (even my middle/ upper-middle class clientele) gobble the idea up. They love it. I have only had one mom who really doesn't want to take advantage of it (the 4 year old program).

I just think its a lot of school and structured learning for ones that little. Also, the shortened/elimination of nap time that has been broughten about by Pre-k & full day Kindergarten is a big concern of mine, but that's a whole other issue