View Single Post
Heidi 11:45 AM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Ahhh....but is doing the exact same thing we're doing now - funneling kids into massive institutionalized learning centers (public schools) - sending them younger and younger really improve those statistics?

The reason why this is about Obama and politics is it's pretty typical for the left to demand change via charging the taxpayers up the wazoo for new this and new that. Why not FIX what's currently broken before adding more to the pile? Sort out the why behind the drop outs, the disengaged students and the zero motivation for higher education. Solve THAT first. And then start making the argument that more and more younger kids should join that arena if you think it'll actually help them.

Throwing young children into a system that most people would agree is ridiculously broken will never improve the state of the education in this country.

(you ='s general you - not you specifically Heidi lol)
I totally agree!

I wasn't trying to say I was for the idea. Not sure how I came across. I am trying to say that the whole thing is pretty messed up, and I might be FOR the idea IF, and only IF, we can get the rest fixed. I think that would require a major overhaul of the education system. Not something I think we'll be seeing anytime soon, because although most people agree that it isn't working, there is huge disagreement about what needs to be done.

My MIL says things like "they need to get back to the basics.."

I say things like "they need to find new and creative ways to engage kids..." I don't believe "basics" are going to prepare our children for the world they are growing up in. My MIL wants the world to be more like it was when she was growing up. So, two very different ways of looking at the problem...

Heck, I want the world to be more like it was when I was growing up, but it's not, and it's not gonna be.... Well...maybe some of it wasn't all roses-and-sunshine anyway, come to think of it...