View Single Post
CalCare 06:33 AM 05-23-2018
Where I used to work, there was a cart for taking food and supplies to each class which was very handy. A cart for each class. You loaded it up with self serve dishes- with lids on, and serving spoons, small plates per a child and adult (plus 2 extra), spoons per a person plus two extra for drops which happened every day, a bin for dirty dishes (on the bottom level of the Cary, children put their dirty cup, plate and spoon in when finished), stack of small plastic cups, napkins and a large container of milk inside an ice bucket to keep at temp as well as a small children's pouting pitcher which comes to the room empty but the teacher purs a little milk in right when they all sit down and the children self serve milk.
Teachers sit at tables with about 6 kids each.
Fruit and veggie platter is passed, then protein, then, carb. No one "must" eat anything they don't want. As each child finishes, they clear.their setting to the bin, napkin in separate bin, and lie down on mats prepped (during or before lunch).

For menus, a monthly menu is posted and often repeateded. They were on the food program and had to have the clipboard on the food cart as well(for paperwork on who was there and was served).. typical items were mon- fish sticks (the only least healthy thing which everyone loved lol), green beans, apple slices and milk. Tues- whole wheat home made Mac n cheese, peas and carrots, and apple sauce. Wed- baked chicken, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, and fruit salad... Etc
I believe that cart was the saving grace of crazy lunch time! Now in my family childcare, I don't do a cart, having just 6 kids. But I do have the bin for kids dishes and the little trash can and a pack of wipes all right next to the table with a poster I made about what to do: 1. Throw away trash, 2. Put plate in bin., 3. Wipe hands and face. (With little drawing of each)...
I bring everything out in the very beginning, on a tray (like the cart) so I don't have to go back for anything. I don't bother with the milk thing simple because I don't want to spend money on ANOTHER item - kids pitcher and ice bucket for milk. So I pour it for them and close with straw lids (the take and toss kind).
Anyway, I hope something of all this is of any use to you... Or anyone reading!