View Single Post
Missani 11:58 AM 03-22-2011
I worked 10.5 hour days when I used to work away from home-with a 30 minute commute each way. The thing is, I only did this 3 days per week and did this so I could be home with my children more often. I worked 3 days/week at 10.5 hours/day and 1 day/week 6 hour days. We made it work just fine.

First, I started before daycare was open, so my DH brought the kids around 8:00am. Then, I worked until 4:30, so I was able to pick them up by 5:00. They did this 3 days/week (9 hours/day in daycare). The 4th day, they were in care from 8:00 (when DH dropped them off) until 12:30 when I picked them up. Sometimes my family would watch them for the 4th day so I didn't have to disrupt the other kids schedules at daycare with the early pick up. The 5th day, I was home with my kids.

So, yes, some people do have to work long days. However, it is unusual that they do not have another person who can drop off later or pick up earlier. It is also unusual that someone would have to work this many hours all 5 days/week. I'm not saying that there aren't single parents who work 55 hours plus per week, but I am saying that it isn't usual.

I, too, find that many of my dcks are here when the first parent goes to work and are here until the last parent gets done. I know that many of my kids don't live nearby, so it might be a matter of who works closer. However, while I don't care as long as they are dropped off and picked up within my open hours, I've always wondered why the last parent to go to work doesn't drop off and the first parent off of work in the evening doesn't pick up. I'm not judging, I just wonder why that's easier.

I think daycare is a great place for kids. But, I do think 57-58 hours a week is a lot. I probably wouldn't say anything since these hours don't work for you anyway, but I don't think you're alone in thinking that is a lot.