View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I have a little guy that has been in my care for over a year now. Developmentally I feel he is behind. He just recently started talking but it is still hard to understand a bit. I feel like he may be on the spectrum. That is why I ask this question. Lately he has been awful with throwing and hitting people with toys. He seems to keep targeting my 9 month old. She is pretty mobile and is trying to play with everyone. He has hit her almost every day. It is usually sneaky too. For example yesterday the toddlers had the play food with a pie, pizza and pizza plate. The second I went to pick up the other infant he took the plate and smacked the 9 month old in the head. No accident at all. He has a 6 month old sister. He has tried to sit on her as well. I have had discussions with his parents and this behavior is a lot worse at home. I am working to correct but I honestly feel like he should know not to hurt the babies. My 2 year old and other 2 year old do. Any advice is much appreciated.
He more than likely DOES know better but it's the impulse control that is his issue.

He knows what is and isn't appropriate behavior but stopping himself from engaging in inappropriate behavior is the real learning curve....

He is more than likely expressing his unhappiness with having a baby sibling. It's all fun and games at first but then the novelty wears off and they suddenly become a threat to them. He probably sees all babies or kids younger than him as the "enemy" now.

I would continue to redirect, give alternate choices, enforce a consequence for repeated behaviors and never leave him alone with any of them. I'd make a point of making sure he is outside of arms length while in any group activity.

With a little (sometimes a lot) of redirection and continuous correctly, they figure it out. It's harder for some kids. Harder still for those that are lagging in the ability to express themselves verbally.

I don't stress about any speech issues until 3-3.5 yrs old as alot of that is dependent on parenting style and birth order.