View Single Post
Michael 04:46 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I added a - and got a domain name. For ex:

Instead of Blackcat.com it's Black-cat.com

NOT the one I wanted at the time but it would do.

I signed up for the notices that let you know when the domain you do want is up for sale.

A month later it was up for sale and available...I jumped.
Now I own both Blackcat.com and Black-cat.com (not really those domains but you get the point)

I hope the domain you want comes up for sale in the future for you but for now, I would consider adding a "." or a "-" and see if that works.
That's amazing that you got that name. Its valuable. (I see now you were using BlackCat.com as an example)

Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I guess my question is what is the point? What does it gain you?
It is a piece pf property on the internet that you actually own. All those other addresses like twitter, facebook, instagram, are pages that you use but don't own. If that company changes their policy or goes out of business, so does your content there.

A domain name can be used for just about anything. Hillary knew the importance of owning a server(computer) that was operated relative to her domain name and email address. Its like owning a house. You can do what you want with it. Chat, photos, blog, email, forum, sales, business the options are endless. Its an address that gives your access and distribution to the world.

I would imagine BlackCat.com gets lots of direct traffic from around the world without the use of search such as Google. Imagine how much money she would save in not having to pay Google for that traffic. It matters, I should know. Look what you and I get out of Daycare.com which is exactly what I started, created and made profitable.

Yeah, its my house

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
SOOOOOO much easier to tell parents "Here's my website Blackcat.com" verses having to ask them to write it down "blackcat/weebly/free/website.com"

If your domain name is short, simple and DIRECT then interested families and clients can easily remember it, share it and find it.

THAT ^^^ is the benefit for me.
You are a very smart person. That is EXACTLY the reason. Keep it simple!

Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
My .com wasn't available so I used .net. Have you looked into other suffixes?
.com is the gold standard and the others have their place in the domain extension hierarchy. Here is an article on one of my domain name sales. Yes, they are better investments than real estate: http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2014/february.htm