View Single Post
blandino 08:22 PM 05-14-2013
I have 4 DCK around 3-4 years old. Their non-stop questions are driving me batty.

They aren't the typical "how" "why", type of questions. Those I know how to deal with and I know they are a normal part of being their age.

My problem goes a little like this:

Me: "Okay lets clean up our books"
DCK #1: "What are we doing next ?" (still hasn't cleaned up a thing)
DCK#2: "We are taking a nap right ? Can I sleep next to Ella ?"
DCK #3: "Can I bring my cow to nap ?"

I would like to at least get the books put away - or have them paying attention to what I asked them to do - before they start in on the next thing.

This is happening in every situation. Questions about things that are way in the future. I find myself losing patience, because in the midst of trying to finish and clean up from what we are currently doing - I am bombarded by questions about what we are doing next.

We have pretty structured routine, so the kids do know what we are doing next. It is more that they ask questions, just to ask them. And a lot of the questions are exceptions to what we are starting to do. They are asking for something special.

Me: Okay, lets throw our plates in the trash and put our cups in the sink
DCK: Can I get Thomas the Train out when I am done ?

I guess I just want them to focus on what we are doing right then. I love that they know what to expect, but it is really starting to wear on me having 10 questions thrown at me every time I transition them, about things that we haven't even started yet. I have been telling them to focus on what I just asked them to do, but it doesn't really work. I also have tried repeating "It is time to pick up books" when they ask their questions and that seems to help a little to remind them of the task on hand.

Thoughts or techniques ....