View Single Post
just_peachy 09:25 AM 03-23-2013
I know this goes outside the limits of the question, but the only way I keep track is household food AND toiletries.

So for a family of 5 plus 3 daycare kids 4 days a week, we spend $1200-$1500 a month.

We do all organic, the only "processed" foods I buy are the organic kids' Cliff bars and the organic Cliff Kids fruit ropes. We've made sacrifices to be able to feed our family the way I want. I think it's important. My mom has crippling arthritis, she's already had a hip replacement and is looking into a new knee sometime soon. She's on heavy duty anti-inflammatory drugs which will probably be the cause of her death years down the road. And she is convinced that it's because HER mom fed them from boxes and cans their entire life. I tend to agree.

I'll be honest though, sometimes I feel resentful that I am feeding the daycare kids better than how they eat at home. It's a lot of time and work. It helps me when I put myself in the mindset that these are "my" kids between the hours of 7 and 5.