Thread: 19 Month Old
View Single Post
GeorgiaPeach 07:58 AM 01-16-2013
What is normal behavior/ development for a 19 month old child?
I have a 19 month old in my care that doesn’t seem to be advancing! She barely uses a fork or spoon. When given one of the other to eat she sits there and just holds it. If eating something like mashed potatoes, she doesn’t scoop she just taps it and brings whatever sticks to her mouth. I have sat with her for a couple weeks working with her on it, but she would rather I do it for her then actually take the time and effort to do it herself. Another thing, when dcp drops her off she goes and sits in front of the TV right away (yes, it is on in the morning before breakfast for about an hour). She doesn’t bother to play with anyone or any of the toys that are out. After breakfast, she will go right back to that spot and just sit there. She doesn’t play with anyone or any toys, unless one of the other dck brings them to her! I had a 22 month old actually bring a bunch of blocks and stack them right in front of the 19 month old and then physically take her hand and try to show her how to put them on the stack!

I have tried to talk to dcp about the things that I am seeing, and I get the “well, the other kids are just more advanced.” This child will actually sleep all day if you let her too! When she was in a playpen she would actually lay in there all day…until you actually came and got her! She would never bother standing up and crying to get out, completely content in there. Same thing is happening now that she is on a mat as well, just lays there. She will take a 3 to 3-1/2hr nap and that is only because I finally go in and wake her up!!

I don’t know what to do anymore. Do I really have to high of expectation for this child??