View Single Post
Kim 06:00 PM 04-08-2012
I'm trying to figure this all out as well. I have a 12 passenger van and we travel on occasion to visit the library- usually less than 5 trips out per month in the nicer weather months and usually don't go anywhere in the winter. My current insurance company says it's fine as long as I'm not transporting kids to and from anywhere like a taxi service on a daily basis. Now we are calling around for quotes for other companies and some have told me it doesn't matter how often I transport if I ever have the daycare kids in the van I need commercial insurance. I'm also being told that if I put a sign on my van for advertising that I need commercial insurance because I'm technically using it as a business vehicle even if I am just going to the grocery store in the evening by myself without any daycare kids in the van.

I feel like I do nothing but pay insurance- I have a rider on my homeowners for my daycare. I also have a separate one million dollar policy through DCI specifically for my daycare business and that policy also includes auto transportation coverage for enrolled children (not actual car insurance). It will take me broke if I have to have a commercial policy for transporting kids.