View Single Post
Crystal 02:53 PM 08-17-2010
I am a provider who has worked with children that have had RSV, resulting in an ongoing issue with virally-induced asthma. I have cared for several children with these issues in my 13 years of experience. While it can be scary, if you understand and recognize the symptoms and the treatment, it is fairly easy to ensure that a child will be safe while in care. Some info and advice:

Any provider/center that you enroll your child in is required to have staff present at all times who are pediatric cpr/first aid certified. Check their cards. Ask if they have any additional training specifically related to asthma....many of us do!

While your child may get sick when he first begins care, group care assists the child in developing resistance to illness. Over time, this can be a real benefit for a child with virally-induced asthma, as they get sick LESS by the time they begin formal schooling.

Ask the center what their sanitizing procedure is like. They should be: sanitizing tables, high chairs before and after every meal. They should be sterilizing restrooms at minimum one time per day, as well as when their is any mess. They should be sanitizing diapering tables after each use. They should be using bleach solution OR another FDA approved sanitizer....NOT lysol. You should see ALOT of handwashing occurring. Stay to observe before enrolling and make sure you notice these procedures, they significantly cut down on the spread of germs.

Ask them what their sick child policy is and ensure that it is enforced. Sick children create more sick children - if you enroll, be respectful of this and don't bring your child sick either as it creates a vicious circle of the kids getting sick over and over again.

Your other concerns:

What if a teacher is a jerk to him and I don't know about it That would suck, but it is not likely. After the initial transition of moving him into child care, pay close attention to your child's cues - is he genuinely fearful of being dropped off. How does he behave when you come to pick him up? Your child's behavior is the best indicator for this, if he cannot verbally tell you what is occurring. Also, DO drop in unnnounced at different times of the day to see what is happening in the program when you would not typically be there. Chances are, everything will be fine, but it is always best to check, just to be sure.
The kid puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. They required markers, crayons, glue sticks. I'm not comfortable with this. Your child needs to have access to these things. It is important for children to have these experiences when they are toddlers - it goes along way towards emergent writing and expressive creativity. Teach your child not to put things in his mouth - every time he putssomething that is not food in, you remove it and tell him, we don't put toys in our mouths, only food.
They said in the winter, given weather requirements, he's going outside. If he forgets a hat/gloves--tough. WTH? WHY do they even have to go outside in the winter? Alot of parents question this. If it is way too cold/stormy, they shouldn't be outside. BUT, cold weather does not cause illness. Illness causes illness, and being cooped up in a confined space with several other children, for days on end, creates a haven for bacteria. Children get sick more often if they are not outside getting fresh air and ample exercise.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.