View Single Post
CalCare 07:59 AM 05-27-2017
Hi! So, where I am, you can have more children for one adult when they are asleep. So, it may be that your center is within ratio when you get there, but as the kids start waking up, you are possibly going out if ratio. Can you send them out of the room to someone else? As soon as one wakes up, hand him his shoes and get eye contact with the other teacher (that hopefully exists and has a tiny group nearby!?) and send him out to her. Eventually when the number of sleepers in your room comes down to the legitimate number you can have awake, then you wouldn't send anymore out as they wake.

Also, you shouldn't have to get all their shoes on and do all these things in a quick minute for each child. The whole point of being a teacher is helping them learn, right? You aren't teaching them anything if you are processing diapering, toileting and shoes as quickly as possible like a factory while kids are getting wild and bitten. Try to brainstorm processes that will make it smoother. Can each child have their own shoes by their mat? If you have to keep all those awake kids to yourself, can you not do shoes- maybe just do what is absolutely necessary like diapers and toileting and then have everyone carry shoes to a bench right outside, there you do the shoes? So each child can work on putting their own shoes on at their own pace? Could you leave all the nap mats out, not doing any cleaning, folding, put away mats? Because you have to supervise and get those awake children out to where you have other teachers asap. Supervision is the highest priority.

That's also why you got busted for your phone. A: it's an obvious visual of breaking a rule and B. If you are doing anything with your phone, you are not supervising as well as you would be without it. The person who has ridiculous behavior in front of the kids, probably doesn't do that in front of the boss (guessing!?) But your phone is right there for all to see. Also the co-workers have been there a longer time and know what they can get away with.

Lastly, have you been there long? Often kids will increase testing behaviors when there are changes or new people because they need to chart out what they are able to get away with too! You probably have kids that don't need you to put their shoes on at all, but you are doing it out of efficiency and that's making the kids ever more dependent on you. Not only for physical help but also their own decision making and self regulation (like not biting). So, perhaps if that rush time to do shoes and diapers slowed down, and the kids have some responsibility (maybe they already do, I have little info and guessing based on years of center experience!), maybe things could change for the better. Oh and if you are kind of new, maybe you don't​ have a really solid routine that the kids have become accustomed to? You could make a poster with pictures, showing the after nap routine. So, when Johnny is doddling instead of putting on shoes or whatever, you can say, "let's look at the routine. Oh yes, I see. Wake up, shoes on, potty, and then outside! I can't wait to go outside (no literally, Johnny, I can not wait to go outside). So let's get those shoes on!" Heheheh

Centers can be hectic and sometimes it just will be loud and rushed. I feel your pain! I hope you can try some things that will help. Also bring Excedrin. Lol jk sort of.