Thread: Pink?! UPDATE
View Single Post
daycare 03:22 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ok, so far we have pretty much come to the conclusion it IS Serratia Marcescens but really won't/don't know for sure.

I called DCM and had her pick up baby and see her pediatrician WITH the pink bottle contents and several photos of pink stains on other things.

I guess it CAN be treated with a probiotic that is made from breast milk or with antibiotic therapy including ampicillin and macrolides but the child needs to have a specific culture done to make sure that it is what is suspected and that it is gone.

I guess we all have this bacteria in our bodies and in our bathroom corners and especially grout and places like that and it is usually not a big deal. However, when the "normal" bacteria in our bodies shifts ever so slightly things change big time.

I need to sterilize/sanitize EVRYTHING baby came into contact with (great right?).
It is not usually a big deal to those of us with stronger immune systems but those who have compromised or really immature ones can get a whole list of terrible symptoms and issues that can all lead to death if left untreated.

Common symtoms are chills, fever, diarrhea, nausea, and UTI's.

Not so common and worse symptoms can be shock, sepsis, convulsions, respitory distress, Meningitis Peritonitis and death.

Interestingly enough if any of you remember the recall on flu vaccines a few years ago....it was related to this bacteria.

Here is a link if anyone is interested in reading some highly unusual things associated with this bacteria http://www.vaccinetruth.org/serratia_marcescens.htm

There are recorded incidents of the U.S. military testing Serratia Marcescens on U.S. citizens in the 1950's. After 1960 it was clearly identified as a harmful human pathogen and can be deadly.

There is such a wealth of info out there but it is so hard to put any of it together in my head and honestly how does one go about knowing anything unless they have experienced it or know someone who has or did?

So that is my update so far....once baby has an OFFICIAL diagnosis, I will keep you all posted. Mom said, she really never thought anything about it and kept passing it off as nothing. I can see how a new baby can be a distraction and besides the baby (nor her) appeared to be sick in any way shape or form so really who knew?

Thank you for all the support and help ladies and as I find out more, I will keep you updated.
holy cow that is so scary......CAT you are so amazing to have figured this out and was so proactive about it. Great JOB......