View Single Post
knoxmomof2 07:22 AM 06-28-2019
I'm so sorry you're going through this and I'm hoping for good news from the scans!

I know it's hard to make this decision, but let me tell you a little story: 2 years ago, I had an ultrasound appointment for our 3rd child. I usually do Dr's appointments after hours (including prenatal appointments) and give at least a month's notice for any closings. I've closed with short notice twice in 6.5 years, both were due to the deaths of immediate family members.

For this ultrasound, I had 4 days' notice. I was seeing a midwife and she had to schedule it with her overseeing OB and I had to have the scan to make sure the placenta wasn't over my old c-section scar in order to be cleared for attempting a natural birth this time. So, it was vital that I have this and waiting / rescheduling wasn't an option.

I gave my families the option of bringing their child for a half day or keeping them home at no charge. 2 chose to take the day off, 1 chose the half day. I was also supposed to start a new child the day of the ultrasound. I didn't want to put them in a pinch or lose a new client, so I offered them the option of bringing the child with me as a last resort. That was the dumbest business decision I have ever made!!!!

Trying to entertain an unfamiliar 4 year old during my ultrasound, a moment my Husband and I should have had to ourselves, not to mention that only 2 people were allowed in at a time, so my 2 people were my Husband and this kid. My own 2 teens had to sit in the waiting room and miss out. (I didn't know before the appointment that we wouldn't all be allowed in together. I could cry thinking about what we all missed out on.....) To make it all worse, the kid only stayed 2 more weeks before Mom moved him to free preschool and tried to screw me out of the deposit (she didn't, but she tried.....) I was clearly just a place to drop her kid until she got approved for the Preschool program. Never again, never, never, never!!!! Will I accommodate a daycare family for something like this.

Go to the appointment if you feel you need to be there. Your daycare families could leave next week and where would that leave you in regards to your Husband's condition? Send your daughter if you feel she's capable of covering it and you're okay with it but don't do it because of business. I know finances matter, but the little bit of money I made for that day, or the 2 weeks he stayed, could never cover what we lost as a family. I still feel horrible that I screwed them out of a special moment with their baby sister, but it was definitely a teaching moment that I'll never forget.