Thread: Play Dying
View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I have a long standing rule in my day care. No playing with, or about guns and death and killing. The kids can make a million things out of the legos....except any kind of weapon. We have no toy guns, swords or weapons of any kind. Not even water pistols.

They can make believe a million things, but not anything to do with killing and dying.

They can bring show and tell items on Mondays, but if they bring a weapon, it goes right back to Mom at the door.

I do not think children need to learn that killing and fighting are "fun" activities.
I supply foam swords and the kids have a blast being pirates on the deep blue sea and fighting for their Captains!

Atleast once a day we have "cops" that come "arrest" the robbers (after at least a 20 minute pursuit)

We have a complete cowboy outfit for any of those little guys who wish to meet down at the O K corral and handle their disagreement like men from the old west.

Yesterday, the boys all went hunting for "wabbits" and found squirrels instead!

...and this morning since the snow has melted the Army base in the sandbox has grown even larger.

I think guns, killing and dying are part of life and part of growing up. We cannot keep them from it but we CAN teach them appropriate and non-appropriate play.