Thread: Time Outs
View Single Post
Truly Scrumptious 09:43 PM 07-12-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I started with a Crying Quilt (thank you to the person who gave me that idea) when they were very small. At almost 2, I have expanded it to a place to go when they need a moment. If they hit, or take away a toy over and over and over, or have a little tantrum, I just tell them to go sit on the quilt. Sometimes, when they know they've messed up they will droop their little shoulders and stalk over there on their own.

They know they can get up at any time, but sometimes I'll realize they have been there a couple of minutes, so I'll go sit with them to have a talk.

Funny thing is that a lot of time, the comforter (quilt) isn't even in it's place and is being used as a play house or drug into the reading corner. They still go to the same spot to cry.
A few years ago I attended a training taught by Madeline Swift (she wrote a wonderful book on discipline called "Getting It Right with Children") anyway, she told us about a provider that took an old pair of overalls and a shirt, stuffed them, put them together and propped them in a corner of her daycare....she called it "Grandpa's Lap"...anytime her children are sad or upset, she tells them to go sit with "Grandpa" until they feel better. I always meant to make me a Grandpa, just never got around to it...but I thought it was cute!