View Single Post
Evansmom 10:11 AM 04-04-2013
But true Reggio has lots of teacher "provocations" which are times when specific supplies are set up and children are invited to use them creatively however there is some kind of premise or direction to it. They also do a lot of representational art which is using different medias to depict an object or painting or theme but within that theme each child uses the materials as they like.

Behind all of that tho is a lot of actual instruction by the art teacher on how to use the specific mediums (watercolors, clay, wire, paints) so there is quite a bit of instruction going on, it's not as free as some suppose. The children are taught the proper way to use the materials beforehand.

Also teachers do prepare lessons they are just themed around what the children have expressed interest in. In Reggio, teachers are constantly making notations of their observations of what the children are saying/playing with/doing so that they can help further their understandings of their interests.

I've been reading a lot of Reggio books . This is how it works in Reggio-Emilia, Italy as I understand it. I'm not sure how Reggio inspired schools in the US do it.