View Single Post
Hartingirl 03:59 AM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I just recently got "No More Letter of the Week". It's a book with a pretty good plan for teaching letter-sounds and incorporating phonics in many different ways into your daily program. I decided not to follow it's recommendation for how they suggest the order in which to introduce the letters and will instead be using a Montessori order (First set: c m a t, Second set: s r i p, Third set: b f o g, Fourth set: h j u l, Fifth set: d w e n, Sixth set: k q v x y z).

I'll be introducing all of the letters in that order in six weeks (one set per week) and then will be working on each set for a whole month in the same order. I'm planning on revamping my whole curriculum ... again ... and this is what I decided my approach to teaching letters and reading will be. Pretty much the focus is to teach the sounds that letters make not just the name of the letters. My goal is to work with groups of letters so that once they master the first two sets identifying or at least sounding out sounds will be a lot easier for them.
Very helpful!

Can you provide some insight as to the type of activities you plan to do in your first phase of introducing one set per week, and then the type of activities you plan to do as you focus on each set for a month? I think that's where I'm coming up overwhelmed. I'm not exactly sure what to do and in which order to do it. I like the idea of focusing on the sounds and not the names of the letters, and I know that's the Montessori method, but what is the progression of focus skills and tasks?

If there's a book or other resource out there that will hold my hand with this until it becomes more intuitive, I'd love to know about it!