View Single Post
kidkair 03:42 PM 11-30-2011
I too don't focus on any of the religious aspects of the holidays primarily because I am not Christian in any way like most of my clients have been. Religion (in my opinion) is something for the parents to teach their kids not me. I too focus on winter. This year I got FunShine express curriculum and am ignoring most of their holiday stuff as we don't do Christmas here. We do celebrate though. I made a holiday and called it Children's Day. I get/give gifts on Children's Day to all the kids and parents. We spend most of December decorating for Children's Day and I tell them all that it's because they are the light in our world. We celebrate them more in the dark months because they light our world and we forget about the darkness when they are happy and celebrating. They do this all year but in the winter we see it more and spend the time to truly relish it. FunShine Express sends out a book in each curriculum pack and I love the one for December. It takes the song Jingle Bells and elaborates to explain how children celebrate all around the world. I will make one change as I read it by changing the word Christmas to Winter to be more accepting of other beliefs. Santa is one thing I've never excluded because he is a believed in by many cultures and is non-religious. (St. Nick is not the only Santa out there.)