View Single Post
ConcernedMotherof2 12:04 PM 11-09-2009
From the mom who has actually had to tell her children that Santa Clause makes mommy pay him and mommy doesn't have much money to give him, I have to say that home-made gifts are more than appropriate for daycare providers. Not only because it is just not financially possible for some of us to spend that much money, but it also teaches our children something important--Christmas is not about expensive gifts, it is about the people you care about.

While it is really nice for daycare providers to spend money on the kids at Christmas ($10-$15? adds up) and I've always appreciated it, it's not necessary. The neatest thing we ever did at daycare was a gift exchange where each of the kids was assigned to *make* a secret santa gift for another child. While I would love to give my daycare provider a gift card (since it's a center, there would be several gift cards), I simply cannot afford it... but that doesn't mean I appreciate them any less than the family that can afford it does. Each dollar store mug full of crappy candy that I hand out is one less stocking stuffer for my children...